Have you ever been told you have or are at risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes?
Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) is a form of metabolic disease characterised by elevated blood sugar concentrations (i.e., hyperglycaemia) due to an inability to use insulin, a hormone that promotes the absorption of sugars from the blood. Essentially, your body doesn’t produce enough sponges to help soak up the sugar to use for other purposes, so it stays there and gives you a high blood sugar reading. If left untreated, it can become serious and can lead to damage and a decreased quality of life.
However, much can be done to reverse the effects of Type 2 Diabetes!
The fundamental goal for management of our patients with Pre-Diabetes/ T2DM is glycaemic control through effective physical activity and dietary guidance. Our clinicians use the latest evidence-based exercise treatments to assess and prescribe you a structured exercise program and your own home exercise program. Or if you have a gym membership, they can write you a program there too!
The Target Physio Type 2 Diabetes Program has 3 stages.
Stage 1 Assessment and Treatment Development Stage
- Functional and fitness assessments and development of a home-based and/or gym exercise program to suit your physical ability and schedule.
- Education on the benefits of exercise for Type 2 Diabetes.
Stage 2 – Supervised Exercise Treatment Stage
- Building on whatever fitness you have in a safe, controlled and supervised environment.
- An 8-week training block consisting of 8-sessions (either group-based or individual) incorporating aerobic, strength and balance exercises to challenge you and your fitness in a safe environment.
- Measurement of blood glucose levels before and after exercise so you can see real-times changes in your readings.
Stage 3 – Long Term Followup
- Re-assessments and review of exercise programs on a less regular basis to monitor your fitness and overall health condition.
- Option to continue participation of the small group exercise classes.
- Linking with community fitness providers for sustainable physical activity for the long run.
If your doctor has recommended you start an exercise program to help manage your Type 2 Diabetes or prevent onset, an Exercise Physiologist is the perfect way to get started safely and help keep you accountable, ensuring you continue your program. Talk to them about the Medicare Type 2 Diabetes Group Services referral – more information can be found here.
We offer an Exercise Physiology training block deal: two appointments per week for 5 weeks and receive your tenth session HALF PRICE!
Ready to book your assessment, click here!
Current research on the benefits of exercise for management of Type 2 Diabetes summarised by Exercise Physiologist, Kelly Luck:
- Huang, L., et al., 2021 Comparisons of Different Exercises Interventions on Glycemic Control and Insulin Resistance in Prediabetes: a Network Meta-Analysis.
- Williams, A, et al. (2020 T2 Diabetes and the Medicine of Exercise: The role of general practice in ensuring exercise is part of every patient’s plan.
- Baptista, et al. (2017) Effects of Long-Term Multicomponent Exercise on Health-Related Quality of Life in Older Adults with T2 Diabetes: Evidence from a Cohort Study.
- Dempsey, P.C., Grace, M.S. & Dunstan, D.W. (2017): Adding exercise or subtracting sitting time for glycaemic control: where do we stand?
- TEO, SHAUN, KANALEY, JILL, GUELFI, KYM, COOK, SUMMER, HEBERT, JEFFREY, FORREST, MITCHELL, et al. (2018). Exercise Timing in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review.
- Arena R, Sagner M, Byrne NM, et al. (2017): Novel approaches for the promotion of physical activity and exercise for prevention and management of type 2 diabetes.
Target Physio are awesome. Their treatment works! I've had the experience where other businesses of this type have "patched" the problem so you are "return" business. Target Physio operates an ethical and "targeted" consultancy focused on getting your body moving again. WELL DONE GUYS!!!! God Bless
March 24, 2020