Exercise Physiologists help fine and global motor skill development in Autism Spectrum Disorder
For decades, research has supported the positive benefits of exercise for children with autism spectrum disorder. Under the supervision of an Exercise Physiologist at Target Physio, exercise can help to manage negative health consequences of inactivity on general health and wellbeing, while also helping to manage other behaviours.
Research recognises that physical activity for neurodiverse children supports motor-skill development, cognition, and academic performance, as well as improved sleep, attention span and mood.
Working with an Accredited Exercise Physiologist at Target Physio can structure an exercise program to improve physical activity participation, limit sedentary activities and create a sustained active and healthy life for your child. An Accredited Exercise Physiologist can assist in working with the child and family to find the best exercise and set an exercise plan that can be easily completed on a daily basis.
Exercise Physiology appointments for Children with ASD incorporate targeting:
- Fine motor skill development
- Global motor skill development
- Muscular strength
- Aerobic Fitness
If your child could benefit from an Exercise Physiology program, book an Assessment today! Click here.
We offer an Exercise Physiology training block deal: two appointments per week for 5 weeks and receive your tenth session HALF PRICE!
Please note, we are not an NDIS registered clinic.
For plan-managed NDIS clients we are able to bill your plan manager directly. Please bring with you all documentation regarding invoicing your plan manager to your assessment consultation.
For self-managed NDIS clients, please pay for your consultation in full at the completion of your appointment and we’ll email you your receipt for claiming.
Current research on the benefits of exercise for Austism Spectrum Disorder:
- Srinivasan, A, Pescatello, L, & Bhat, A 2014, ‘Current Perspectives on Physical Activity and Exercise Recommendations for Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders’, Physical Therapy, vol. 94, no.6, pp.875-889
- Toscano, C, Carvalho, H, & Ferreiram J 2018, ‘Exercise Effects for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Metabolic Health, Autistic Traits, and Quality of Life’, Perceptual and Motor Skills, vol. 125, pp.126-146
- Sorensen, C & Zarrett, N 2014, ‘Benefits of Physical Activity for Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Comprehensive Review’, Review Journal of Autism and
Developmental Disorders, vol.17, no.1, pp.344-353
Target Physio are awesome. Their treatment works! I've had the experience where other businesses of this type have "patched" the problem so you are "return" business. Target Physio operates an ethical and "targeted" consultancy focused on getting your body moving again. WELL DONE GUYS!!!! God Bless
March 24, 2020